Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 152-160: New Orleans Edition, Day 1

So, I was not in New Orleans for 2 weeks, but in the 2.5 days I was there I accumulated a bunch of outstanding pictures. I'm going to use the pictures I post today as my last 8 days, even though I'm giving you more than 8 pictures.


These extra photos are for no other reason than to say I love you. Enjoy!

The trip started out rough on Friday. My flight from San Diego to Houston was delayed, and I missed my connecting flight to New Orleans. To make matters worse, there were no other flights until the following morning! So, I called up Brittni, told her I was going to be stuck in Houston, TX for a night, and without hesitation, she said: "Ok, don't worry. I'll pick you up at the airport." Holy. Cow. Brittni made the 5+ hour drive from New Orleans to Houston to pick me up at the airport. We were able to have a non-stop 6 hour conversation on the way back. A good portion of the time was spent listening to me say names like "Atchafalaya" and looking over the miles of bridge we were traveling on by moonlight. It was too fun!

We woke up early and went to breakfast at the Camellia grill. I was greeted by the waiter with a fist-bump, and I knew things were looking up. After breakfast, Brittni surprised me (well, kind of) with and a cooking class at the New Orleans School of Cooking in the French Quarter! I had such a fun time.






This is Tom, the instructor. He taught us how to make bread puddin'. The mirrors helped quite a bit...







And a roux for gumbo...




...which was delicious!!







We also made jambalaya! Do y'all know what people mean when they say "pope" in New Orleans? Garlic!!!










This is Tim and Laura...they're Brittni's friends from church, and they were our cooking buddies for the morning!






We had a good time too...









Here I am with the instructor, looking awkward :).








The bread pudding was marvelous--I think that's what I'm going to try to make first!








The pralines were also creamy and delicious, but definitely not as good as my momma's!








After our lesson and lunch at the cooking school, we headed over to Jackson square to see the Mississippi and the art (and artists) located all around the square.








Hello, Cafe du Monde, my love. We'll talk about you later...








I love the second floor balconies of New Orleans, they're all so lush and vibrant!








Being a tourist and posing for a photo in front of the cathedral :).






Here's the guy the whole square is named after...yee haw!








Brittni, hamming it up...haha...








She also took a few pictures during the trip. This one is one of my favorites--it captures how happy I am to be with her!








There is so much history in New Orleans--it's like the whole town is a historical distric. Here you see General Lee, glaring at the North with his arms folding. Darn yankees. I'm pretty sure I called him General Custard to Brittni, but she didn't seem to care too much.








We looked around on the levy by Brittni's apartment at the end of St. Charles. I loved looking at all the boats and rigs.








The moon rose over the Mississippi, and I thought about the stories of Huckleberry Finn that I read in high school. Cheesy, I know.








Brittni and I were having a great time!








Then, we went to Cafe du Monde, and I died. When I woke, I was in beignet and chickory coffee heaven.




We went back into the French Quarter, and Brittni led me down Bourbon street. I have now checked that off of my list of things to do. Before we left, she showed me this particular church located in the quarter. A light illuminates a teaching Jesus, and his shadow is projected on the face of the church. I found this to be an interesting juxtaposition to what was down the street and around the corner...
Finally, we were tired. I look psychotic in every picture taken hereafter. This is the best one. We're on the streetcar, going back to Brittni's apartment. What an incredible and full day!
I'll post more pictures of Sunday's activities soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment