Sunday, March 14, 2010

There's Something About the Ocean

...that makes me rise up in praise.


Even though I don't visit the ocean that often (and yes, for those of you who live inland, I live about 3 minutes away from it, allow the snarky thoughts in your head commence), I do drive by it every day. Windows open. Sea breeze filling my lungs, and my soul.

When I look at the ocean, the mountains or any other of God's most magnificent creations I cannot help think how blind we are to His love during our ordinary lives. The twinge of love manifests in our hearts and the recognition of a greater power only when something so amazing as the ocean enters into our view.

What will it take for me to feel God's presence when analyzing my data, or looking through a microscope at cells I have a vendetta against due to their mere existence irritating me? The answer, I am learning, is very simple.

Practice.

Practicing seeking God in the everyday moments of my life does not mean I will discount the swell of love I feel in my heart when look out at the Pacific. I will practice seeking God in order to recognize the times He is attempting to communicate with me in a different way. I am in the habit of compartmentalizing God's ability (I know, very intelligent of me). I think that because I sense God's presence in the ocean or a sunset, that must be the feeling I should look for in my everyday life. Just because I enjoy the comfort of repetition does not mean the same event is in store for me each time I recognize God is reaching out to me. I am realizing now that I miss so many of His gentle attempts to meet me.

I must practice recognizing His voice, and I must practice seeking Him out in my everyday life.

I suppose that I am lucky, though, that I have a vast, powerful and beautiful daily reminder to drive by each day.



Psalms 104: 24-34

24 How many are your works, O LORD!
In wisdom you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.

25 There is the sea, vast and spacious,
teeming with creatures beyond number—
living things both large and small.

26 There the ships go to and fro,
and the leviathan, which you formed to frolic there.

27 These all look to you
to give them their food at the proper time.

28 When you give it to them,
they gather it up;
when you open your hand,
they are satisfied with good things.

29 When you hide your face,
they are terrified;
when you take away their breath,
they die and return to the dust.

30 When you send your Spirit,
they are created,
and you renew the face of the earth.

31 May the glory of the LORD endure forever;
may the LORD rejoice in his works-

32 he who looks at the earth, and it trembles,
who touches the mountains, and they smoke.

33 I will sing to the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
as I rejoice in the LORD.



2 comments:

  1. So, tonight is an all-nighter for me. I don't do them often but tonight I have no choice. I don't procrastinate, I don't goof off, I don't do anything that would make it necessary for me to have to sacrifice precious sleep. In fact, I have been really mad about it...until I read your blog tonight. It is currently 1AM, I am full of an absurd amount of caffeine and I was not ready to be put in my place. I just wanted to see pretty pictures during my "study break." So, thank you for speaking the truth. You are right. Too often I complain, continue studying, take the test, and hurry to the next thing so I can finally become a doctor. but God wants to know me now, not when I am doctor-Brittni! and he has big plans for me NOW, with my friends and classmates and people in the coffeeshops. I don't have to wait until this is all over to glorify God and give him praise all the time. Yes, I will most likely see the rewards more often as a doctor when lives are saved and I can pray with my patients; however, it is written clearly that we should use our gifts to administer God's grace to all people. It does not specify "when you get your degree" or "when you are comfortable" or "when you are happy because you saw the beautiful ocean." No, we are called all the time, especially in the mundane and hard times that seem so intense and ridiculously challenging.

    I didn't want to get out of bed today because I had it planned to pull this stupid all-nighter. But I am glad I did. I was able to remember that I am putting all this work in to not glorify my own name, or to gain that extra point on an exam. Instead, I can serve God through studying, through learning the intricate systems he has so beautifully designed.

    so, I sit here in the middle of the night, across the country from you, and I thank you for reminding me of how much God longs for me to have a relationship with him in every moment of the day (and unfortunately, night).

    I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete