Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Hiatus

Where have I been the last 6 months?

Everywhere--well, not exactly, though it certainly felt like it. Nowhere--working at my kitchen table, papers, books, coffee mugs and a cat spread out around me.

I applied for tenure-track positions this past fall at small, liberal arts institutions. I was incredibly humbled and encouraged by the process, which was simultaneously grueling and rewarding. I heard back positively (i.e., I was asked to do on-site interviews) from 70% of the institutions to which I applied, and received an offer I couldn't refuse early on in the process.

This summer we will be moving to Oberlin, Ohio, where I'll start my independent career as an academic scientist at Oberlin College. I'll be teaching undergraduates in biochemistry and chemistry, and I'll be starting my own laboratory and studying problems that I think are (really) interesting. I'm still in shock, and the idea seems very surreal. In fact, I feel like I'm writing a piece of fiction right now, but I'm not. I'm going to be on the tenure-track, which means I still have a bit more "uphill" to go. Academic curiosity, intellectual freedom and some ridiculously bright students are around the corner.

We visited Missouri for Christmas (we go there every other year for Christmas--on the off years, we've stayed at home to try and save money). We had a nice relaxing time visiting with family and catching up on rest. I've included a boat load of photos from our trip to make up for my absence.

Here's to 2014 and all of the new, exciting things to come.



This is LT, one of their pups.


This ice-covered bush looks like something out of a science fiction movie.

The other pup, Shadow, is a curious, loving little fellow.



Everything was shrouded in ice.


Later in the week there was a thaw. The trees that were coated with ice caused what seemed like a rain shower. 



Babbling creek bed.

I love this guy. I conveniently cropped the raccoon crap out of the photo (the raccoon decided the dock was obviously the best place to poop).

Which way is up?



Juniper berries


1 comment:

  1. To be able to point out to yourself to keep encouraged within your weight-loss quest, question someone to be on an image regarding an individual. fake louis vuitton Submit that in which that is going to be obvious, or perhaps retain added replicates alongside. Each and every time an individual learn to move ridiculous together with foods, or simply you never wish to workout, look at the photograph to be able to point out to oneself regarding what you would like to modify. fake dior handbags The best solutions to commence the weightloss program will be to find solutions to lower the worries within your lifestyle. Anxiety could cause cortisol ranges to boost and observe after sugar levels volatile, hence causing needless fat acquire. replica burberry Anxiety can also help you to susceptible to binge in case you are angry concerning one thing. Any time a diet regarding slimming down make sure you take in many different food items. replica dior Ingesting the identical food items everyday will be uninteresting and you may at some point find yourself ingesting unhealthy food as an alternative. replica gucci Organizing dishes together with different smart foods lets you stick to the everyday eating habits and also tends to make the preferences content.

    ReplyDelete