Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Staycation 2011

We decided to have a staycation instead of traveling this summer. Initially, I was a little bummed. I had my heart set on going somewhere new, but after I got used to the fact that I was going to be able to sleep in my own bed, get up whenever I wanted, not have to hassle with travel details and STILL be able to go exploring, I was pretty excited.

The first few days of our vacation were spent taking care of sick pupperoos (see this post on the Coneheads), and that was kind of a nightmare. 

Sunday, I got to travel up the coast a bit to big ol' Los Angeles to visit my dear friend Amy, who I only get to see normally once a year. We had a lovely time exploring Hollywood (which is dirty and much less cool than I expected it to be), eating sushi and playing at the beach!








Early in our staycation, Tony and I went to the San Diego Safari Park (i.e. The Wild Animal Park), which is about 3 miles from our house. I love animals. Maybe if I wasn't so squeamish, I could have been a vet. Alas, I am a scientist instead. 



Bonsai Gardens:







"What you lookin' at?"


We also celebrated our 4th anniversary (woot!) by going on a dinner cruise around the harbor (thanks to Tony's parents for giving us an awesome gift!). It was probably one of the happiest days I've had in a long time. The dinner was excellent (fresh salad, steak, stuffed snapper, and chocolate mousse cheesecake!), and the peacefulness of the water was totally memorable.



 





Being goofy:


Tony outdid himself in anniversary presents! I woke up to find he had snuck out and bought me a dozen roses, and then he bought me a lovely diamond ring. HOW LUCKY AM I, PEOPLE!??!




Ugh. My hand looks freckly and fat here. Don't judge. 


We also were able to work around the house some, which was necessary, and kind of fun! I've really started to enjoy gardening as a means of relieving stress. There's just something so satisfying about pulling weeds. I'm sure there's a metaphor for my life in there somewhere, though I'm still trying to nail it down...

Our front flowerbed area, full of cockscombs, tall grass and rosemary plants:


Cockscombs! Or, brainplants, as I like to call 'em. 

Ahh, we now have many fun memories of our first staycation! Thanks again to Tony's parents for our lovely cruise!

No comments:

Post a Comment